Re: ACTION-1039: aria-hidden and inner/outer elements

On May 15, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Can you please take a look at action-1039? The one question for us (item 2) is about aria-hidden="true" on an outer element that has an inner element with aria-hidden="false". Rich is asking for a clarification in the UAIG that the inner element should still be exposed in the accessibility tree. Do you agree with what he is proposing?
>
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1039

I don't agree that the element should be exposed. If the ancestor is hidden, all descendants should also be hidden. If the same way, if you have CSS display:none on a node, adding display:block to a child element does not make it appear.

Another technical challenge regarding the AX tree would be that you'd have to promote these child nodes to a higher branch, since the parent element is no longer in the tree. This could result in very unexpected behavior in some APIs.

James