Re: text equivalent computation algorithm

On 12-03-22 1:48 AM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
> Hi, Joseph.
>> shouldn't be part of the label</span></div>
>> <input id="input" aria-labelledby='label'/>
> no name from innerSpan (since it's not referred by aria-labelledby),
> that goes with spec and Firefox implementation.

It has nothing to do with "not referred by aria-labelledby" because, if
the display:none style is removed from innerSpan, then it *is* included
in the accName. Nothing has changed in terms of aria-labelledby.  The
only change is whether innerSpan is hidden or not.  The two outcomes are
consistent with "skip hidden elements" -- hence, consistent with the
spec.  And, apparently, consistent with FF's implementation.

One more test case since the rule is more fully "skip hidden element
*unless they are referenced by aria-labelledby* ...".  Thus, if a span
is referenced by another element, then it isn't skipped even though it
is hidden.

text will part of the label even though it is hidden</span></div>
<input id="input3" aria-labelledby='label3 innerSpan2'/>

The spec predicts "label this text will part of the label even though it
is hidden".  And, FF outputs the same thing.  Again, the spec and the
implementation are in agreement.

The main issue is how a hidden <label> element is handled.  As you
noted, the spec says it should be skipped, and my test showed that FF-11
does skip it.  But...
> You just spot a regression from Firefox 3.6.

I don't understand that.  Does it mean that since FF3.6, FF's accName
algorithm is/was consistent with the ARIA spec, but that this is "luck",
due to a regression?  And that regression is going away?

> Thank you.
> Alex.

Thanks to you as well.

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
              - J. D. Klaun -