Re: aria-describedat

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:31 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> Basically, I think what we need is a kind of "overlay"-functionality
>> for the document/fragment linked to. As soon as the link is activated,
>> that document/fragment becomes the new document temporarily with a
>> simple means to return to it. The best visual rendering of this that I
>> can think of are "overlay" or "popup" or more generally a "modal
>> window".
>
> Approximately a year ago I asked a friend of mine to knock together a proof
> of concept of a similar idea I had back then. Cost me a bottle of Port, but
> was well worth it to me (yes folks, JF pays up for work done, even if the
> currency is more liquid than most)
>
> See Dirk's example here:
> http://blog.ginader.de/dev/jquery/longdesc/examples/webaim/index.php
>
> There are some keyboard issues, but it's on GitHub so if anyone wants to
> take a stab at cleaning it up, have at it.

I like it. That's exactly what I was thinking about, too, with a few
variations on the idea with the indicator disappearing after a few
seconds, the link not being in the DOM but in the context menu, and
the overlay being modal. But other than that, the idea is the same. I
would suggest providing such a implementation recommendation as part
of the spec.

Cheers,
Silvia.