Re: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

Leif Halvard Silli writes:
> Apart from ARIA 1.0, here are some other projects which have failed to
> include @longdesc in the product:

This is not factual.

The failure is not ARIA's but HTML's.

ARIA has been in development longer than HTML 5. ARIA was already in
Candidate Recommendation status by the time the HTML-WG decision to
exclude longdesc was published.

So, you might blame us for assuming such core features would be
retained, but that is the extent of our fault. We assumed longdesc would
be around. We assumed that in 2004, in 2005, in 2006, in 2007, in 2008,
in 2009, in 2010. Silly we? Perhaps. But we weren't, and aren't, in the
business of replacing builtin features.

And now you want ARIA to drop everything and fix the problem HTML created?
And blame ARIA for the problem's existence? That's revisionist history.
It's unacceptable process.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200