Re: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

Silvia Pfeiffer, Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:45:55 +1100:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> This is why I am suggesting a Community Group. A CG

>> My druthers would be to accept longdesc right away and call it obsolete
>> but conforming. That clearly signals that a replacement is expected
>> while providing needed functionality right away--the same it has been
>> available since html 4. As I said, this is my
>> preference.
>
> I agree with this. Doing this and in parallel creating a CG on
> aria-describedat that takes on the requirements already collected in
> Epub would IMO provide the fastest way forward.

How do we get consensus for 'obsolete but conforming' + a CG for
describedAT? Can this be expressed as a change proposal? And what if we
do not get consensus for 'obsolete but conforming', do we then *not*
create the community group?

Meanwhile, another option: What if HTML5 simply was silent on @longdesc
... I mean: If we want to reuse @longdesc in ARIA - rather than
creating a new @aria-describedAT, then HTML5 should not say that it is
obsolete and should as well, not say that it is conforming - until it
has been defined.
--
Leif H Silli