RE: TTS from web content?

Hi Sina,

Today, there are tools that access the web page in the cloud and read it.
What they are currently doing is converting text to audio streams and
sending those to the client. This is not very performant. If we did have
access to TTS via the browser it would operate much faster.

I should note that this solution would not be solely for screen reading.
IBM has developed solutions like WebAdapt2Me that allows seniors to
highlight text to be spoken. Another use case would be cognitive and/or
reading impaired users (a much larger group than blind and low vision)
which would benefit from the ability to highlight and read text on the
page.

Could we create self voicing applications - sure. Although that may depend
on the disposition of DOM Mutation events and a replacement down the road.
We will have to see.

The big barrier to all this has been browser security. Unless you had a
plug-in you could not get to these features. A standard script API would
put things in the hands of the developer.

I think putting TTS API support in the browser is a win.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group