Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

On 2/19/09 4:18 PM, John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:
> And/Or re-visit flawed current features?

These discussions work better if you stick to technical issues, rather
than making subjective claims rooted in your own value system. Debates
on accessibility requirements for HTML are particularly prone to this
kind of moralizing.

I want the accessibility of the Web to improve, and I think I understand
and share the morals underlying your positions. I disagree that the
tactics you're advocating will be effective. Similar rules in HTML4 are
not effective, so the approach of mandated fallback doesn't seem
promising to me. In Ian's current document, there is a short novel
written on alternate content for the img element. I do not think it is
useful for this WG to attempt to distill a single RFC 2119 imperative
from these issues. In fact, doing so is probably counter to Section 6 of
RFC 2119 itself.

I am interested in issues like how table summaries affect interoperation
with screen readers. Those are technical problems this Working Group is
in a position to fix. I don't think this is a very good venue to solve
the social issues surrounding accessibility.

Taking a step back, I see many have raised the issue that canvas has
poor reuse characteristics in comparison to some other Web technologies.
This observation is correct, but that doesn't make the feature bad. The
choice presented here is described in the REST paper, the best
description of how the Web actually works at a high level:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_1_7

The canvas element allows content to occur that couldn't otherwise have
been created, and it does so without coordination in this Working Group.
Features like that always admit the possibility that people are going to
do things wrong as they stumble through.

- Rob