Re: <device> advice

From: Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:23:31 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
On Dec 15, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Obviously I have considered simple things like making sure it can be
> keyboard accessible and ensuring it is media-independant, but if there are
> specific aspects of the design that you think should be improved, I would
> be very grateful if you could let me know.

I don't see anything about prompting the user to allow access to the device. Considering the consequences of allowing a document unfettered access to a user's own devices (particularly storage and capture devices), I have to assume that some form of user access control will also be specified. In such a scenario, as has been discussed in similar geolocation discussions, those controls MUST be directly accessible. Additionally, notification of those devices being accessed (e.g., a webcam being turned on) MUST be relayed, and the device's current status SHOULD be available at all times (if that info is available to other users, then this would be a MUST as well). Otherwise, someone who can't see the screen would never know whether a given device is in use.

-