RE: Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

On 5/14/08 7:22 AM, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> ...while I do believe that accessibility advocates are good at
> identifying accessibility problems, I frankly don't really trust the
> ability of accessibility advocates to formulate *syntactic*
> requirements...

A partial list of "accessibility advocates" who are at least as good as anyone in these threads at
formulating 'syntactic requirements':

Sir Tim Berners-Lee
Al Gilman
Matt May
Wendy Chisholm
Andi Snow-Weaver
+ too many to list!

The notion that there's some brainwashed cabal of "accessibility advocates" who are living in a
dream world wherein a dominant goal (achieving seamless accessibility) is a map without any
territory.

We are all "special" and far from being intransigent. I daresay that those in the above list are
fully as qualified as is Bro. Sivonen to attend to matters of syntax? The quite obvious
unfamiliarity sometimes shown when "on-the-ground" aspects of, e.g. screen readers, gives rise to an
old Southern admonition "don't try to teach your grandma how to eat raw eggs."

Love.