From: public-html-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Sam Kuper
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 10:37 AM
To: Justin James
Cc: public-html@w3.org; W3C WAI-XTECH; wai-liaison@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

2008/5/9 Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>:
Anything that cannot be machine-checked should not be in the spec.

Justin,

This is bonkers. Large parts of the spec can't be machine-checked. How can a machine detect whether text in a <p> element is being used as a heading, for instance? I could go on listing cases, but I won't.

I think you may be confusing a schema (something for computers to use to assess validity) with a specification (something for humans to use as guidance when writing code or markup for computers).

Best regards,

Sam