Re: Question about ARIA role for bubble help (DHTML style guide)

It seems like there are three overlapping widgets in the style guide

http://dev.aol.com/dhtml_style_guide

#7 Dialog - Modal
#8 Dialog - Non-Modal
#14 Popup Help
It appears that #7 and #8 are more or less identical other than the
ability to use F6 to toggle between the popup and the main content area
in the #8 case. Toggling should maintain focus context in both the popup
and main content area so the user doesn't have to reorient while
toggling back and forth. Likewise exiting the popup should return focus
to where the user last was in the main content area. Both dialog types
should manage wrapping around within the widget until dismissed or
context switched.

If this is the case then the popup help (#14) feels like a simple
variant of Dialog - Non-Modal except it is invoked on demand by the user
rather than being triggered by the behavior of the web app. The use case
is that I'm focused on something on the page that doesn't make sense to
me. So I bring up contextual help which is implemented as a Popup Help
widget and might have a multi-step recipe to complete a task. I'll
navigate to step one, toggle back to the app and complete step one,
toggle back to the help widget, navigate to step two to read it, toggle
back to the app and do step two etc. So we want the help to persist
until dismissed by the user, but allow the user to flip context back and
forth between the web app and the help widget.

I believe this is the common use case of OS-based help.

The last permutation would be popup help implemented as a Dialog -
Modal. I couldn't think of a scenario where this would make sense for
help. Why would I want to lock somebody into the help content?

CB