Re: Mandatory and Important

At 17:23  -0400 22/08/08, Al Gilman wrote:

>If the agent putting the markup together really doesn't have a clue
>(not the Flickr case)
>then I don't really have a problem with it being absent and non-conforming.

I think this is a fundamental disconnect.

I rather fear we might have the following equation in play:

"There is a tool available at the syntax level for applying pressure
to people to write their documents certain ways:  it is called
syntactic conformance.  We need to apply pressure to get meaningful
alt text provided for all images.  We should therefore use syntactic
conformance checking."

The problem is that would be asking a syntactic conformance check to
do a semantic function, and it doesn't work.

>No, it does have a text alternative for the image.

You lost me.  What does it (the UA) have (in this case:
alt="auto-uploaded}")?  It has {auto-uploaded} or somesuch;  this is
not an text alternative to the image itself.

--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime