Re: Comment on WAI-ARIA Role: Mandatory 'describedby' Too Restrictive

Doug,

Briefly:

We have been working on amending the host-language-implementation
section to make it clear that host languages can define implicit ARIA
semantics based on their markup.  You do have to convince your
processors
to pick these up.  This would mean that the nesting-implied relationship
based on your specified algorithm would be an implicit @aria-describedby
in this case.

In the absence of an explicit @aria-describedby the implicit
relationship
would be binding on the accessibility-API mappings.  But the author
could
override the implicit information with explicit ARIA markup.

This will show up in the public editor's draft some time after Michael
Cooper returns from a well-deserved holiday on Monday.

Less briefly:

In particular, I would expect that svg:desc should acquire the
an implied @aria-describedby
emanating from the containing <g> to the <desc> in question.
In which the 'description' role is possible but does not add
anything operationally.

In the case of svg:title, are you anticipating that some would
show tooltip behavior and some not?  Will this be controlled by
scripting?  I would assume that svg:title is appropriate to
get an implicit @aria-labelledby from the container.

And yes, we are aware that there is implicit semantics if the
control is indeed an html:input and the author has used <label>
to label it.

[but still hardly exhaustively...]

Al