Re: some reflections on @alt usage

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Al Gilman wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2008, at 2:31 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > I'm only going to make edits to the spec that I can substantiate
> > through research or logical arguments. Continued appeal to authority
> > in the face of this will not result in the changes to the spec that
> > you desire.
>
> No, naturally I don't expect you to make edits based on the authority of
> the WAI.  The WAI is not in your authority chain.

You're missing the point. There is no "authority chain". We've used
research and reasoned studied arguments for everything in HTML5, and will
continue to do so.

(There are several examples that demonstrate this really well, for example
the way that HTML5 allows "/>" to be used in text/html, against my
personal wishes, because my position was not backed up by evidence and the
arguments put forward were stronger than mine.)