Re: some reflections on @alt usage

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Joshue has provided extremely useful usability studies that we have used
> to help guide the design of HTML5. However, with all due respect to
> Joshue, sometimes even his opinions contradict the evidence he provides.

I am a bundle of contradictions :-)

Seriously however I know exactly what piece of contradictory option vs
evidence Ian is referring to. It was in a user test about @summary where
a power screen reader user mentioned that he would not find @summary
particularly useful as he knows how to use more advanced table
interrogation techniques using his screen reader. Whereas he would admit
(then and now) that it would be useful to other users. Thats it. Apart
from that I have managed to be fairly consistent (no mean feat).

> That is why it is more important to base our decisions on actual objective
> research. (I say this without meaning any ill will to Joshue at all, I am
> very thankful for all the research he has done for us so far.)

Thank you. I am really glad you found the video footage useful. I would
suggest that if you need me to provide user test footage etc in a
particular form or way, please let me know and I promise to keep
editorialising to a minimum.

Cheers

Josh