Re: Flickr and alt

David Poehlman wrote:
> I think my answer is fairly clear, but I'll state it in concreet terms.
> There seems to be an attitude and not here that accessibility is somehow up
> to someone else other than those who can make it happen.  It's either up to
> the screen reader developpers, <wrong>, the users, <wrong> and you see where
> this is headed.

It's up to the authors, to use the relevant parts that need to be in the
spec, which are then correctly picked up by screen readers / AT. But
authors can't be coerced into doing the right thing simply by mandating
the mechanism that, only if used properly, enhances accessibility, imho.

> that the pain for
> the many outweighs the needs of the few .

The problem, it seems, is that the pain (failed validation?) won't
automatically result in the correct behaviour (providing relevant @alt),
but only in the minimum effort required to make the pain go away
(putting *anything* into @alt, even adding a null @alt, just to get the
thumbs-up from the validator).

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com