From: Marcos Caceres [mailto:marcosscaceres@gmail.com]
Sent: 05 August 2008 02:18
To: Steven Faulkner; Arthur Barstow; Cain, Sally; Cynthia Shelly;
wai-xtech@w3.org; public-webapps
Subject: Re: Request for Comments on Widgets 1.0 Requirements Last Call
WD

Hi Steve, Cynthia, and Sally,

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcos and Arthur, thanks for taking the comments into account.

No probs. Thanks for taking the time to provide them.

> can I suggest the last part:
> "The user interface language MUST also be accessible to screen
> readers, allowing relevant sections of text and functionality to be
> accessed by non-visual means."
>
> be replaced with something like:
>
> "The name, role and state of all interface elements MUST be available
> to assistive technologies such as screen readers, to allow relevant
> sections of text and functionality to be accessed"

Ok. Done.

> and the rationale be modified:
>
> from
> "screen readers and similar assistive technologies"

> "screen readers and other assistive technologies"

Ok, below is the final text which hopefully addresses everyone's
comments. To assist me with the Last Call Disposition of Comments,
could you please acknowledge if you are satisfied (or not) with what
is now in the spec:
--
R37. Language Accessibility

A conforming specification MUST specify that the language used to
declare the user interface of a widget be either HTML or a language
that is accessible at the various levels specified by the WCAG 2.0
(perceivable, operable, understandable, and robust): specifically, the
langauge MUST provide keyboard access to interactive graphical
elements, and provide means to access the widget's functionality
through a non-graphical UI. For the user interface language, the role
and state of all interface elements MUST be available to assistive
technologies such as screen readers, to allow relevant sections of
text and functionality to be accessed.

Motivation:

Compatibility with other standards, current development practice or
industry best-practices, ease of use, accessibility.

Rationale:

To recommend a language, or a set of languages, that will allow
authors to realize their designs, while at the same time remaining
accessible to screen readers and other assistive technologies.

--

Thank you all again for taking the time to comment and improve this
requirement.

Kind regards,
Marcos

--