Re: ARIA support in HTML & XML-based MLs: a call for consensus

It is not planned for legacy support only.

On Oct 18, 2007, at 4:22 AM, T.V Raman wrote:

Gregory -- IanH  already said this in a separate note, but let's
not stretch things too far with respect to what ARIA can and
cannot do, what it might be appropriate for and  completely
unsuitable for.

ARIA is a solution for legacy markup --- I dont think it will get
you far with respect to the other things you speculate upon.

Gregory J. Rosmaita writes:

> aloha!
>
> can we agree upon at least one thing -- that it is essential that ARIA
> be supported not only as the solution for today, but for tomorrow, as
> well?
>
> ARIA needs to be fully integratable with HTML, but it is also
> essential
> to providing meaningful, semantically rich information to users of
> XML-based languages/dialogs such as MathML, DAISY (the internationally
> agreed-upon, XML derived, digital talking book spec -
> http://www.daisy.org/),
> and any specialized content markup (such as CellML, a means of
> expressing
> biological ontologies such as gene ontology, as well as validating the
> models against which standards of unit balance and biophysical
> constrains
> such as conservation of mass, charge, energy. etc. can be expressed -
> http://www.cellml.org/) not to mention Complex Document Formats
> (such as
> a digital talking book with SVG illustrations and embedded SMIL
> switches)
>
> it isn't a trivial question which needs to be resolved, but a
> fundamental
> one -- how can something that enhances a non-extensible language as
> well
> as providing meaningful, interactive access to an extensible
> language or
> custom dialect, be incorporated into an internationally recognized
> standard, such as those which the W3C produces under the name of
> "Technical Recommendations"?
>
> personally, i don't care what delimiter is used, as long as it
> provides
> for the integration of ARIA support into both extensible and
> non-extensible markup languages -- if the colon isn't
> "politically/practically" correct, and the hyphen slash dash breaks
> known extensible languages/dialects, then why not the underscore?  it
> actually isn't THAT unusual in the wild -- think "_DEFANGED.mp3"
>
> so whatever and whomever decides what piece of punctuation works,
> please
> remember that access to general knowledge and communication, as well
> as
> access to specialized knowledge domains (math, music,
> SVG-to-tactile-graphics on a thermal tablet, enhanced by SMIL
> integration
> so that the SVG presentation could change over time to represent the
> original "peak" range of the american grey wolf, to that after 100
> years
> of european contact with north america, to that in 1900, to that in
> 2000)
> are equally accessible to all, no matter what the modality in which
> they
> are presented, and, foremost, that there is a standardized means of
> providing such access today AND tomorrow: ARIA
>
> gregory.
> [...]

Best Regards,
--raman

Title:  Research Scientist