Re: [STYLEGUIDE] Tab Panel discussion

Hi Becky,

Sorry for the delay, I'm finally getting around to commenting on all
your points here:

Becky Gibson wrote:
> There is a proposal for tab panel behavior in the wiki [1]. The style
> guide working group has discussed tab pane to some extent and I believe we
> agree that the panel would become active when the tab receives focus.   I
> updated the key behavior section with the following information:
>
> tab - only the active tab is in the tab order. The user reaches the tabbed
> panel component by pressing the tab key until the active tab title
> receives focus.

Sounds good to me. Other elements, such as radio button groups, already
work this way.
> left arrow - with focus on a tab, pressing the left arrow will move focus
> to the previous tab in the tab list and activate that tab. Pressing the
> left arrow when the focus is on the first tab in the tab list will move
> focus and activate the last tab in the list.

Again sounds good and mirrors radio button behavior... so we have precedent.
> right arrow - with focus on a tab, pressing the right arrow will move
> focus to the next tab in the tab list and activate that tab. Pressing the
> right arrow when the focus is on the last tab in the tab list will move
> focus to and activate the first tab in the list.

ibid.
> ctrl-up arrow -with focus anywhere within the tab panel, pressing ctrl-up
> arrow will move focus to the tab for that panel. This is not standard
> behavior - is this something we want to implement? Is it necessary if we
> provide a mechanism to change the active tab? Similar to
> ctrl-pageup/pagedown in Firefox to switch tabs?

I vote that we should just provide the mechanism for changing the active
tab. I was thinking of ctrl + right/left arrow (since it would just add
a ctrl modifier to the arrow based tab-focused navigation), but since FF
has the ctrl + pgup/pgdown behavior, probably best to reuse.

> alt-del - When deletion is allowed, with focus anywhere within the tab
> panel, pressing alt-del will delete the current tab and tab panel from the
> tabbed interface control. If additional tabs remain in the tabbed
> interface, focus goes to the next tab in the tab list. An alternative to
> providing a keystroke to close a tab is to provide a context menu that is
> associated with the tab title. When focus is on the tab, pressing
> shift-F10 or pressing the right mouse button will open a context menu with
> the close choice

In any event I think for mouse users the context menu is a plus.

> NEW ctrl-pageup - When focus is inside of a tab panel, pressing
> ctrl-pageup moves focus to the tab of the previous tab in the tab list and
> activates that tab. When focus is in the first tab panel in the tab list,
> pressing ctrl-pageup will move focus to the last tab in the tab list and
> activate that tab.
> NEW ctrl-pagedown - When focus is inside of a tab panel, pressing
> ctrl-pagedown moves focus to the tab of the next tab in the tab list and
> activates that tab. When focus is in the last tab panel in the tab list,
> pressing ctrl-pageup will move focus to the first tab in the tab list and
> activate that tab.
> Regarding ctrl-pageup/pagedown. This is currently implement in Firefox to
> move between browser tabs. Firefox also supports ctrl-tab and
> ctrl-shift-tab to move between tabs. Internet Explorer 7 also uses
> ctrl-tab and ctrl-shift-tab. I (Becky) see advantages to using
> ctrl-pageup/pagedown as the keys to change tabs since it is a recognizable
> keystroke to at least Firefox users and is also supported by the Windows
> operating system to move between panels in a tabbed dialog.
OK I agree with this notion... reuse existing tab navigation keystrokes.
Cognitive workload is finite for most mortals.

>  The problem is
> that if the user is within a tabbed interface control on a Web page, they
> can not easily switch browser tabs without first moving focus outside of
> the tabbed interface control. This may be acceptable. The other issue is
> if the entire Web page is a tabbed interface control - in that case the
> user could not ever switch browser tabs unless the control on the Web page
> ignored the ctlr-pageup/pagedown keypress (and thus letting the browser
> access it) when the first or last tab was reached.
> I am looking for feedback for the last three proposals: using ctrl-up
> arrow to move focus from within the tab panel back to the tab; Using
> alt-del or a context menu to delete a tab from the tab list; using
> ctrl-pageup and ctrl-pagedown to move between keys.
> I prefer to implement  ctrl-pageup and ctrl-pagedown to move between keys
> and to not implement ctrl-up arrow behavior.  I also prefer the idea of
> using a context menu to provide a close or delete option for tabs rather
> than inventing the new alt-del key sequence.   Are there other suggestions
> or feedback?

The context menu approach is cool... but we need to make sure it is
discoverable.
cheers,
David