Re: [navigation] premise: client software affords context prompting from labels of ancestors.

>Hi Al,
>
>Can you give examples of 'author' and 'player' with respect to your
>statement: "What do people think of this allocation of
>responsibility between the author and the player?"

Let me try synonyms, I think they are clearer.

author:
- content creation segment
- data on the server
- whatever touches the content up until the point where it leaves the webserver

player:
- client side software
- browsers, plugins, OS and AT operating on the user's computer
guided by user settings
and interactive gestures.

So what I mean by the "division of of responsibility" could be restated as:

author:
- responsibility of the authoring pipleline for what is in the data
as it comes over the wire.
This includes content contributors, webmasters, QA teams and hired
external site scrubs,
aided by whatever tools they use.

player:
- responsibility of the client-side software to interpret the data
received over the wire.

My terms are my personal code, so I don't know in what way they are
missing you.
Sorry this is so verbose, but does this help?

Al