RE: California Zephyr example [was: Re: HTML WG needs complex tables with accessible markup]

At 12:24 PM -0700 6 06 2007, John Foliot wrote:
>Al Gilman wrote:
>
>>  b) the page from which you download the print-image PDF also sports a
>>  trip-planner interactive application. This is arguably equivalent
>>  facilitation. I've been in the habit of telling people that such a
>>  feature is an above-equal alternative.
>
>Yes-and-no: with a large table of data I can do some multi-stream
>"planning", as correlations are apparent in total, whereas an interactive
>"trip planner" is a single-stream process... If the first result is not
>quite what you want or expect, you need to start all the way back at the
>beginning: as well, comparative decisions require multiple passes.
>Functional alternative perhaps, but not above-equal (IMHO).

Good points.

I'm probably mis-remembering that rating anyway. I think it
originated with map applications, things like transit route maps.

When a planner comes into its own is when there are transfers along
the route. Then figuring things out from the timetables can be pretty
tedious.

Al