Re: 1st public HTML5 draft to be published sooner, rather than later (February 2008)

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 05:30:48AM +0000, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> in any event, it's time for us individually and collectively to take a
> long hard look at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5
>
> and discuss what steps need to be taken to (a) preserve the accessibility
> advances introduced into HTML4x and (b) propose equivalent or superior
> mechanisms, because the burden, like it or not, has been squarely placed
> on our shoulders to do so...

This has been true since the beginning of the process, and remains so now.

I share Gregory's process concerns regarding the introduction of changes not
reviewed by the working group, and the wide discretion which the specification
editors have taken upon themselves to modify the draft as they think fit based
on comments received from all sources.

I don't think there is much point, strategically or otherwise, in trying to
hold up publication of the HTML 5 draft. Publication as a working draft is
largely a formality, fulfillment of a process requirement, rather than an
endorsement of its contents.

Finally, a personal comment: I have zero time at the moment to participate in
this process due to many other commitments.