Re: DHTML Style Guide: http://dev.aol.com/dhtml_style_guide

Al Gilman wrote:

> At 7:33 PM +0100 13 12 2007, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
>> Moved to member private mail.

>> PLEASE do not change locations of documents, and please keep W3C
>> working documents in W3C space. See http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
>

> The short answer is that Don's page
> - is not the draft Best Practices Guide
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices
> - is not a W3C document
> - doesn't say it is a W3C document
>
> ..  but the short answer is too short.
>
> The full story is also that
> * Yes, PFWG expects to follow the recommendations of the
> AOL-organized caucus on widget feel, in the main.
> for their discussions.
>
> On the other hand the caucus Tom Wlodkowski has organized:
> * is staying out of "how to code it" discussions that we have to
> address in the Best Practices
> * needs a record of just what they _are_ working on for focus
> and momentum maintenance
> * is not limiting itself to widgets that have WAI-ARIA defined roles
>

> .. history:
>
> We tried to give the keystroke-choice discussions "their sandbox" in
> the form of a Best Practices Guide appendix that collected the
> key-binding usage from all the structures and widgets. And we decided
> to run the Best Practices work in the W3C (moin-moin) Wiki. This plan
> proved un-maintainable as document technology.
>
> So Don is supporting Tom's discussions with a cumulative record on
> the AOL Web Page and we are handling the compare/contrast of those
> results with what is in the W3C Best Practices Guide "manually."
>
> I hope that with this explanation you can see the approach has
> benefits for the accomplishment of our job in WAI-ARIA.
>
> Al
>

>> W3C has a whole range of tools that can be used to manage stuff on
>> their website, from Amaya, Winie and Jigedit (save to
>> http://www.w3.org/somewhere/you/are/authorised ) to direct CVS trees
>> and version control. Putting W3C specs on the site of a single vendor
>> is totally inappropriate and conveys the wrong message about W3C's
>> development process. If a spec is scribbled together originally by a
>> single developer it is reasonable that they post their draft, and if
>> we agree to work on it then it is reasonable that that draft note
>> further work takes place at W3C.
>>
>> Having it branded by a particular vendor is totally unacceptable. I
>> realise it may seem convenient at times to use the tools you are
>> familiar with in-house, but it makes it very hard when I get internal
>> questions about whether W3C is *really* a level playing field if
>> people come up with things that look so much like they are
>> proprietary. The W3C has had a consistent history of asking
>> individuals and organisations to work in W3C space and that process is
>> important to its members and to the public.
>>
>> best
>>
>> Chaals
>>
>> --
>> Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
> [...]

Gotta agree with Charles. I believe this was one of the reasons
OpenOffice, the Linux Foundation, the W3C, and other [*].org
opensource things got set up. So far we've all been working for
us all and more [John Q.], it's important that the source of all
that "us" energy be reflected on a "this is by and for us all"
website.

Having said this, wasn't the best practices stuff moved from W3C
because the styleguide work isn't a "sanctioned?" effort? My
recollection is an implication of that status was that by their
rules, they couldn't host the styleguide wiki as a result
separate from the technology issue Al mentions.

Finally, I just want something that's going to be taken seriously
outside one company once the styleguide goes 1.0. In the end tho,
this work should ultimately reside on a more neutral
something.org site. Is this the plan?

Earl