Fw: Scheduling a coordination call on developing LINK examples

OK. Jon and I have agreed to continue the LINK discussion wrt. navigation
landmarks on xtech per the WAI-PF working group action item.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Emerging Technologies
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441
schwer@us.ibm.com, Phone: 512-838-4593,T/L: 678-4593, mobile: 512-876-9689

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost

----- Forwarded by Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM on 04/13/2005 01:51 PM
-----

                      Al Gilman
                      <Alfred.S.Gilman@        To:       Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>, Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                      ieee.org>                cc:       John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, w3c-wai-cg@w3.org
                                               Subject:  Re: Scheduling a coordination call on developing  LINK examples
                      04/13/2005 09:55
                      AM

At 9:36 AM -0500 4/12/05, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>Rich,
>Are there any other times that you are available on Thursday
>or Friday.  I beleive John Slatin has a WCAG call at 3:00 CST
>on Thursday.

Considerations for planning this meeting:

* who:

We should solicit participation via the CG list.  But we can freeze
the date/time first.

It's OK if the list of people who *must* be able to support the time is as
short as Jon G, Rich S, and John S.

I would like Becky to be there, if possible.

* what:

I want to talk about a review of where we are and where we need to go
on the definition side as well as getting more content examples.

In particular, one of the reasons I think it is important that the markup
we give is to a region (example: collection of links) and not just to a
point
(example: start of link collection) is that an 'escape' method is on a
par with a 'go-to' method or 'table-of-contents' navaid as far as making
the web with its many collections of links safe for browsing for all.

escape == Help! Get me out of here! and navigates to whatever is
next beyond the current [problematic] zone.  There is prior art in
the definition of escapable structures in DAISY and in the Jaws
hotkey that moves to the next place that there is some minimum
character count of non-link text to read.

* when = to be arranged as you are doing.

* where

One of the things I might like an answer to on the noon call today is
if it is a good idea to send read-ahead remarks for the next call to
the XTECH list, the UA list, somewhere more private, or what.

Al