From: John M Slatin
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 3:13 pm
To: wai-xpech@w3.org
Subject: [SVG 1.2 comment] Mostly editorial

A few editorial nits:
Page:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/flow.html>http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/flow.html
The following sentence does not make sense:

The flowRegion element contains a set of shapes and exclusion regions
in which the text content of a parent flowRoot element is drawn into.
The problem is with the construction "... in which ... is drawn into."
The following is difficult to understand:
"... and offset from their parent's siblings both before and after."
"parent's siblings" is a difficult relationship to grasp on first
reading; "both before and after" what?
Section: 4.12 Text Flow
<q>
1. The text is then processed in logical order to determine line
breaking opportunities between characters, according to
</q>
The word "then" is confusing in this sentence. It implies a step 0,
which hasn't been described. Since this is admittedly a high-level
description it's
possible that step 0 is implicit, but it might be btter either to
spell it out or to delete the word "then" (easy way out)
Section 4.15
Examples
Links to two examples have the same link text, so people using screen
readers can't tell which example they're going to.  This may seem
trivial since there
is no current screen reader support for SVG, but would be meaningful
for people who keep hoping their screen readers will magically
support SVG (like yours
truly).
Multiple pages
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/multipage.html>http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/multipage.html
"... a page in SVG is defining an ordered list of groups containing"
Change: "is defining" to "defines"?
"Hyperlinking to a page will seek the document to the begin time of
that page." This use of  the verb "seek" is confusing; it is not
standard English.
Text Enhancements
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/text.html>http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/text.html
Allowing editable text has implications for accessibility- esp. if
the user agent is supposed to support WYSIWYG editing; the UA's edit
function will also
have to support screen readers, in addition to the keyboard
functionalities described.

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute