Re: activation / focus and users Re: Access Key

I actually agree precisely with the example of mobile devices that Doug
presents and his reasoning.

To that extent, I think it should not only be hyperlinks that have the
"activate immediate" behavior on mobile devices.  Buttons for example
(<button>, <input type="button|submit|reset|radio|checkbox">) should also
have that behavior.  This will help with consistency for those UAs.

I still think that for other interactive user agents (e.g. desktops,
laptops, TVs), the "focus immediately" behavior is strongly preferred, and
thus should be the default.

I believe that the right thing to do is to add an exception clause to HTML4
for when rendering to a 'handheld' medium.  E.g.

 "When presenting an HTML document to a mobile device (e.g.
media='handheld'), typing an accesskey should focus _and_ activate the
respective element, e.g. hyperlinks should be activated and navigated, and
buttons should also be similarly activated."

By tying this difference in behavior _precisely_ to the 'media'
attribute/concept, it provides authors a single place to make distinctions
regarding presentation and behavior when designing the interaction for
various different media.  It also provides clear guidance to user agent
implementers.

Thanks,

Tantek