Re: browsercaps.com unavailable

Hello Gregory,

It appears that browsercaps went defunct sometime this summer.  It has been
out of service for a while now, and I'm assuming it probably won't be
back.  In the meantime, we've been using data from the htmlcompendium (i
believe the URL is htmlcompendium.org).  It is not complete.  The
difference between the two is that browsercaps had a wider selection of
browsers, but the compendium has a more complete listing of elements that
are supported (both HTML and CSS).

We'll update the links where we are able and put it in errata where we can't.

Ian - should we keep a place holder for browser caps in hopes that it will
come back or comment it out until/if it does return?

--w

At 06:08 PM 9/23/99 , Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>aloha, wendy, gregg, and ian -- i presume!
>
>been trying to get to http://www.browsercaps.com/ all day with a variety of
>browsers from a variety of dailups, but consistently receive a "Unable to
>contact remote host" error...
>
>will continue to attempt to get to browsercaps.com, but thought that you'd
>want to know that (at least right now) there is a problem with the server
>on which it is hosted...
>
>probably a temporary glitch, but worth checking out if you have a contact
>eddress for someone at browsercaps.com
>
>gregory.
>ACCOUNTABILITY, n.  The mother of caution.
>                         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
>Gregory J. Rosmaita      <unagi69@concentric.net>
>Camera Obscura           <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html>
>VICUG NYC                <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>
>Read 'Em & Speak         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/books/>