Why are the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines published in PDF format?

From: James Salsman <jsalsman@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:36:58 -0700
To: wai-wcag-editors@w3.org
Why are the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
published in the very non-accessible PDF format?

Isn't that defeating the purpose?  Please take the
opportunity to reduce the cognitive dissonance by
pointing out the inaccessibility for PDF format.

Please see http://access.adobe.com for more info
about what one must go through for PDF accessibility.
I tried to get them to send their Solaris
executable-only converter program, and they made me
sign (and FAX!) a long contract and it took them
several weeks to send it.

Cheers,
James Salsman
HTML Forms Working Group, W3C