Re: Editorial comment on UAAG 1.0

At 11:36 AM 2002-12-31, you wrote:

>perhaps removing the parens would make more sense.  retrieve in this
>instance is correct.

And so is the wording without any change.

The word 'fresh' is an adjective modifying the noun 'content.'

Fresh content is what the server is presumed to have available if one activates
a META REFRESH directive.

To refresh from the server is to retrieve fresh content.  These are synonymous.

David is right that the parentheses are unnecessary and confusing.

My initial reaction to this is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Leave it
as it is.  Of course my reflexes are based on a paper-appropriate climate of
standards for changes.  Maybe in this electronic age we can have more lively
living documents.

If, on the other hand, we decide to do something about this in the errata
page, I suggest that a more sweeping rewrite of the sentence be considered
(to be presented as a clarifying re-statement, not a correction).

Something like:

"When the user chooses not to accept a content refresh, the user agent may
ignore the refresh opportunity; buffering is not required."

Al

PS: Tech note:  in the background, if I recall correctly, our definition of
'refresh content' is to change the content state of the DOM.  Normally by
retrieving a representation of a resource from a server.  We are not just
talking about re-rendering from the same DOM contents in the case of 3.5.
See also the remark where there is a link from Checkpoint 2.4.