Re: Unclear Requirement: 1.4.12 Text Spacing

Hi Erica,

The website does not need to use that text spacing by default. The website just needs to work when users change their text spacing.

Understanding Success Criterion 1.4.12: Text Spacing <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/text-spacing.html> says:
* The intent of this Success Criterion (SC) is to ensure that people can override author specified text spacing to improve their reading experience.
* This SC does not dictate that authors must set all their content to the specified metrics. Rather, it specifies that an author's content has the ability to be set to those metrics without loss of content or functionality.

It would be good to edit that Understanding page to be even more clear.
*Do you want to provide suggestions?* :)
Best if you can provide them via GitHub <https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/new>. If you're not comfortable with GitHub, you can send e-mail to public-agwg-comments@w3.org

I've also updated <https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/new-in-21/#1412-text-spacing-aa>:
[[
Problem: "Most text is hard to read. It's so cluttered I can't keep my focus. Just increasing the space between lines makes all the difference. When I'm really tired, I also increase the space between words. However, some websites don't work right -- some of the text gets cut off and even buttons disappear."

Works well: "OK, I know I'm a bit of a geek, but I've perfected a user style sheet to make text spacing just right for me. It's a relief when websites work well with my CSS."
]]

Best,
Shawn
<http://www.w3.org/People/Shawn/>