Re: [wbs] response to 'WAI-Curricula: Draft Review for unit 3 "Business Case and Benefits"'

Hey Lewis:

Many thanks for your comments.

Some questions below.

On 9/18/2019 5:33 PM, Lewis Phillips via WBS Mailer wrote:
> ---------------------------------
>> Topic: Accessibility as a Driver for Innovation
>>
>> ----
>> Focus on topic Accessibility as a Driver for Innovation:
>>   * Do you agree with the introduction and learning outcomes?
>>     * Do you think Learning Outcomes, Teaching Ideas, and Homework Ideas
>> are aligned?
>>     * Do you think Teaching Ideas and Homework Ideas cover well the scope
>> of this topic?
>>     * Do you agree with the wording, tone, and approach?
>>     * Do you have further ideas or suggestions?
>> Please feel free to comment in the below text box or open a dedicated
>> GitHub Issue for Topic Accessibility as a Driver for Innovation
>>
> Comments:
> In the sentence: "Explain that many features originally thought for
> accessibility have become mainstream, such as the type-writer, telephone,
> punch cards, text to speech, email, and voice controls." thought doesn't
> seem to be the correct word. Possible added, or created, maybe designed.
Changed to "designed". thanks for the tip.

> One of the learning outcomes is to "Identify common aspects between
> accessibility and usability", but there is no teaching idea that touches on
> usability.

This learning outcome was intended to match with the teaching idea:

     • Promote discussion among students about which accessibility
features they may already be using and which they may want to use. For
example, ask them if they have used voice to dictate or to listen to
messages.

So rather than identifying common aspects between accessibility and
usability, the learning outcome is more about identifying how
accessibility features deliver more intuitive experiences. This is why
in the teaching we emphasize on features that students may already be
using. I will take accessibility/usability out of the equation and tweak
this as follows:

   Learning Outcome

     * Explain how accessibility features deliver more intuitive
experiences.

   Teaching Idea

     * Promote discussion among students about which accessibility
features they are familiar with. For example, ask them if they have used
voice to dictate or to listen to messages. Elaborate on how these
features improve overall student's user experience.

Hopefully you will shortly be able to see this update at
https://deploy-preview-113--wai-curricula.netlify.com/curricula/1-3/

Do you think these two are now more aligned?

Thanks.

Daniel.

---