Re: Editing suggestions for BAD (Before and After Demonstration)

Shadi and Eo-Editors:

Though this response is a bit beyond editors, since it started here,
I guess it should stay here.

I'll snip as much as possible.

At 12:15 AM 10/6/2011, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
>Hi Jennifer,
>
>Thank you for your comments. The title issue needs discussion but
>otherwise all edits were addressed. See below for more details:

JS: I think the title issue was already discussed by EO, but I am
afraid I don't have time right now to search the minutes.  If
page-titles were done that way on purpose, then I must have missed
them being discussed in the demo.  I didn't see anything about people
needing to pay attention to page-titles anywhere.  Did I miss it?
Shouldn't it at least be covered in the annotations, which I thought
I went through pretty carefully?

I think illustrating the importance of page titles *IS* important.

If highlighting incorrect page titles is a feature, I wouldn't
necessarily have a problem with it, especially if it were covered on
the first page, so I'd have known from the beginning not to try to
rely on them.

I didn't notice any particular pattern to how the page titles were
created, either on the "before" or "after" pages, but I was focusing
more on the content and trying to make sure I touched most pages.

<snip>

>>B. Maybe this idea was vetoed, or I thought about but never said it --
>>would it be possible to change all of the page-titles so it'd show, in
>>them, whether you were on accessible or inaccessible? It'd make it
>>easier when alt-tabbing among pages. Maybe I'm missing it.
>>
>>Maybe the idea was vetoed because it'd be too obvious for people if they
>>were being tested?
>
>It is intended to be one of the "features" to be demonstrated but it
>was raised as an issue before. I'd like to discuss this with EOWG.

>JS:  See my comments above.

>>C. Some of the information looks like it may repeat, and I can't promise
>>to catch all duplications.
>
>Not sure what you mean. The pages are somewhat inter-related to give
>a notion of a realistic website.

JS: What I meant, as far as I can recall, are the typos in the alt
attribute.  I mentioned one repeat in my original message, which I'll
now snip.  Perhaps if you caught them once, the changes were
replicated throughout the site. My point in mentioning this idea of
info repeating is that if you KNOW that places I mentioned repeat,
you might want to make sure the changes were made in all places; I
don't know how the page-set is structured/built, so I can't reliably
identify all cases.

>>2. http://www.w3.org/WAI/demos/bad/draft/2009/before/home/
>>Some of this also looks like it appears on:
>>http://www.w3.org/WAI/demos/bad/draft/2009/before/news/
>
>Yes. The news highlights on the home page lead to the full articles
>on the news page. Maybe it makes more sense on the accessible pages?

JS: I don't know what you mean. I wasn't ttalking about content,
here; I was talking about the typos I'd pointed out in Item 1.
Instead of "this," I should have written "the errors in Item 1."