Policies update - Canada [was: Updating Policies -- initial thoughts]

  On 8/1/2011 10:33 PM, Denis Boudreau wrote:
> Quick comment as I'm short on time right now.
>
> I can take the lead for Canada and check a few things out. First, for Canada and Quebec, go through the info Catherine Roy had provided and update/complete/change the information around to reflect the actual state of things.
>
> Then, see if I can get a11y peeps form other provinces who might have stuff to add for these provinces (people like Adam Spencer - Ontario - and Glenda Watson Hyatt - British Columbia - immediately come to mind).
>
> Then work with Twitter to complete for the rest of the provinces.

Hi Denis,

Thanks for offer to help! For now, please don't tweet. Let's get things settled first. We might even put out a draft of several updates before we announce any in progress.

Below is what I have from Catherine, which is quite old.

Please see http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/updates.html for format.

Ask if you have any questions, and please do share any suggestions!

~Shawn

---------

Hi Shawn,

I thought you might like the latest news concerning policies in Canada for
when you get the time (and I know how scarce a resource that is) to update
the WAI policy page.

In December 2004, the Québec government modified its disability
legislation[1] (available in French only) and adopted two new articles.
Although they do not mention Web accessibility specifically, they are
written broadly enough to allow interpretation in our favour.

Article 26.5 stipulates that all ministries and public agencies must adopt
measures, in the spirit of reasonable accommodation, related to the
accessibility of all public (as in governmental) information and services,
whatever their form.

Article 61.3 stipulates that ministries, public agencies and
municipalities must take the needs of persons with disabilities into
account in their procurement process of goods and services.

For us in Québec, despite Web accessibility and technologies not being
specifically mentioned in the new legislation, this is a very positive
development and we are working to promote the broadest interpretation
possible. For example, the provincial government, when it updated its main
portal in early 2005, took accessibility into account and hired external
consultants to evaluate the work that had been done. There is still a lot
to do of course, but it is a step in the right direction.

Also, Ontario updated its disabilty legislation[2] this past summer :

Article 1 stipulates :

1. Recognizing the history of discrimination against persons with
disabilities in Ontario, the purpose of this Act is to benefit all
Ontarians by,
(a) developing, implementing and enforcing accessibility standards in
order to achieve accessibility for Ontarians with disabilities with
respect to goods, services, facilities, accommodation, employment,
buildings, structures and premises on or before January 1, 2025; and
(b) providing for the involvement of persons with disabilities, of the
Government of Ontario and of representatives of industries and of various
sectors of the economy in the development of the accessibility standards.
2005, c. 11, s. 1.

Article 4 stipulates :

This Act applies to every person or organization in the public and private
sectors of the Province of Ontario, including the Legislative Assembly of
Ontario.  2005, c. 11, s. 4.

Ontario already had obligations in the previous law for accessibility of
government Web sites and procurement.  This would now apply to the private
sector as well, which is good news, though it will take time to develop
the standards and implement them.  I imagine John Foliot could give you
more info if needed as he presented a brief during public hearings on this
bill.

Anyway, hope this is useful.

Best regards,

Catherine