Re: Backward Compatibility question...

Lisa Pappas wrote:
> I'm working on a very rough draft of the transitioning policy document.
>
> Question: If a web site complies with WCAG Level 2, do they automatically comply with WCAG v1 AA? (I'm thinking that where a law calls out version 1, as in Canada, could an organization move to WCAG 2 and still meet their legal obligations?)

Good question. No, meeting WCAG 2.0 Level 2 does not mean you automatically meet WCAG 1.0 AA. The "priorities" in WCAG 1.0 are defined differently than the "Levels" in WCAG 2.0. Also, in several cases, WCAG 1.0 is more "strict" than WCAG 2.0.

*However* they are not in conflict. So, *yes*, you can meet WCAG 2.0 and also meet obligations for WCAG 1.0. And indeed that's what we recommend -- even if you have an old policy that says WCAG 1.0, go ahead and also make sure that you meet WCAG 2.0 as well.