From: "Shawn Henry" <shawn@w3.org>
To: "Sailesh Panchang" <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Cc: "wai-eo-editors" <wai-eo-editors@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: reply requested, wrapping up Involving Users doc

> Sailesh,
>
> Thank you for you review and comments. Your comments are surrounded by

> Upon re-reading the doc, I came up with the following  for you to
consider:
> 1. Ref: For example, take a Web developer who does not know what it is
like
> to use a screen reader.
> Comment: Consider rewording as-
> Consider a developer who is unaware that there are individuals who listen
> and interact with Web page content using screen-reading software, or  a
> developer who does not know how content  creation and coding  affects the
> output of such screen-reading    software.
>
> SLH: We want to keep the document as short and succinct as feasible. The
target audience for this particular document is mostly people who are
already somewhat involved in Web accessibility, rather than newbies.
Therefore, I propose that we keep this bit as short and simple as possible.

> 2. Ref: When Web developers, managers, and other project stakeholders see
> people with
> disabilities use their Web site, most are highly motivated by a new
> understanding of accessibility issues.
> Comment:  Instead of "motivated" consider :
> suddenly realize or become aware how differently their Web pages are
> rendered for
> individuals  with disabilities or by assistive technologies.
>
> I think when I demo  Web surfing with    a screen reader or show a Web
page
> with colors
> turned off, etc., it is a more of an eye-opener for the audience. I will
not
> agree everyone
> or most are "motivated" after the demo. Many question the  statistics of
> PWD,  the business
> benefits or the extra efforts needed or the learning they need to do.
>
> SLH: I agree that demoing Web surfing with a screen reader is more of an
eye-opener and that leads to more questions. This talks about project member
actually seeing people with disabilities *use* *their* site. In every such
case I've observed, people are highly motivated, and others in EOWG report
the same thing. The "most" covers that some might not. Also, if the project
team is observing PWDs using their site, they have probably already started
addressing many of the questions you list. The goal of this section is to
show the power of including PWDs, and I think the "motivated" helps do that.

> 3. I think the document needs to highlight that  the developers get a
> realistic feel of how content is rendered to PWD and how the AT devices
most
> likely being used in the target-population render the content. Yes,
> developers should code as per "accessibility techniques and guidelines"
but
> if certain techniques are better supported     than others, they should
use
> those techniques.
>
> SLH: hum, I wonder if this is implicitly covered enough in the
introduction? I'll list this for EOWG discussion tomorrow.

> Yes,
> developers should code as per "accessibility techniques and guidelines"
but
> if certain techniques are better supported     than others, they should
use
> those techniques.
>
> SLH: Agree with your point (although that's not a specific focus of this
document).

> Developers need to be aware that the content accessed by a
> PWD using AT depends on the interoperability of the At devices in addition
> to  that of coding practices and the browser.
>
> SLH: We cover that a bit in the Analyzing Accessibility Problems section:
"Web accessibility depends on several components of Web development and
interaction working together, including Web browsers, assistive
technologies, and Web content. For any accessibility problems you identify,
determine which components are responsible. For example...", which links to
the Essential Components doc (http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/components.php).