RE: EOWG: Please read/review latest business case draft before 2 April 2004 teleconference

Chuck,

Thank you for your review and comments on the business case. I will post
a revised version with your changes and other's changes soon.

Replies to your comments are below surrounded by brackets []. Let me
know if you want to discuss any of them.

Regards,

~ Shawn

[thanks] 1. Overview: New version - posted late yesterday afternoon - I
like it.

[added to changelog as issue to address] 2. Social -- Barriers to Web
Use -- bullet  4: To me, the link isn't clear between  "society's low
expectations" and the  following "lack of opportunities for training".
Could/should this be separate bullets,  with a short expansion on
whatever we mean by "society's low expectations" in  this context?

[I do! but one person said it wasn't necessary. since you bring it up
again and I  don't think the group discussed it, I added to changelog as
issue to address] 3.  Social/Technical/Financial/Legal  -- with the
exception of the Legal page, I find the  sudden end of each document
after its last bullet to be very abrupt and - from a  narrative
standpoint - unsatisfying.  Does anyone else think that a short
paragraph of summation, or a sentence conveying "Well... now you have
the  w-factor building blocks for your business case. If you haven't
already done so,  visit our x-factor, y-factor and z-factor pages for
more great stuff." would be of  use?

[DONE] 4. Technical -- Reduce Site... -- bullet 1: I agree with @@ need
to explain...

[DONE] 5. Technical -- Reduce Site... -- bullet 3: I agree with @@ need
to explain...

[DONE] 6. Technical -- Reduce Server... -- bullet 1: "... by using text
rather than  images." @@ add "of text" or  change images to "bitmapped
images of text".   Otherwise, literalists might assume we we are asking
that all images ought to be  replaced by text.

[DONE, first time, then even more simple: "by using markup for
structure..."] 7.  Technical -- Enable -- bullet 3: @@ HTML for
structure... -- how about: @@  appropriate mark up (e.g. HTML, XHTML,
etc.) for structure...

[DONE] 8. Technical -- Be Prepared -- bullet 1: Would a definition or
alternative  phrase be available for "syndication of information"?  That
is a bit of jargon I am  not familiar with, although I suspect it is
equivalent to the amazingly nasty  "multi-utilization of information".

[DONE] 9. Financial -- Identifying -- bullet 1 -- last sentence: Delete.
I think that  statement is redundant.

[DONE, made it even more to the point: "Is the organization starting a
new Web  development or redesign effort?"] 10. Financial -- Identifying
-- bullet 3 -- Does  the question read better as "At what stage is the
organization's Web  development?" or "What stage is the organization's
Web development at?" ?

[we mean "additional servers and personnel" as in, additional machines
and  people] 11. Financial -- Identifying -- bullet 4 -- "... cost
savings in additional  servers and in personnel..." -- don't we mean
"... cost savings from reducing the  need for additional servers
personnel..."?

[DONE] 12. Financial -- Identifying -- bullet 4 -- sub-bullet 1: delete
"possibly".

[DONE] 13. Financial -- Identifying -- bullet 4 -- sub-bullet 1: maybe
just  "potential costs" rather than "potential legal costs" because you
are in the same  sentence "defending against legal action".

[DONE, edited & tried to clarify] 14. Financial -- On-Going Costs --
Additional  development time: I haven't a clue what this paragraph is
saying. Can't think of a  good rewrite either.

[DONE] 15. Legal -- Education -- para 1: delete "national". E.g. in
Canada education is  covered by Provincial requirements.  Just
"government requirements" would be  sufficient and inclusive.

[DONE, EOWG agreed no tot tackle them] 16. References -- too drafty for
comments.

We are close to wrapping up the business case resource suite.
        http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/bcase/
Please review and comment on the full resource suite before our
teleconference this week.

Cheers,
Chuck Letourneau
Starling Access Services.