RE: Comments on: Re: business case status as of 2 April 2004 & review notes

Sylvie,

Thank you for your review and comments on the business case. I will post
a revised version with your changes and other's changes soon.

Replies to your comments are below indicated with my initials (SLH) and
surrounded by brackets [SLH: ]. Let me know if you want to discuss any
of them.

Regards,

~ Shawn

1. General questions:

a) On title change.
Question: Now that we have decided to change the title of the document
from
"Presenting the Case for Web Accessibility" to: "Developing a Web
Accessibility Business Case for Your Organization", should the following

sentence (for example in technical factors) in the introduction be
changed
too?

Actual sentence: "This page describes financial factors relating to Web
accessibility. It is part of a resource suite that also describes the
social, technical, and legal and policy factors for consideration in
presenting a case for Web accessibility." Changing to: "This page
describes
financial factors relating to Web accessibility. It is part of a
resource
suite that also describes the social, technical, and legal and policy
factors for consideration in developing a Web accessibility business
case
for your organization".
[SLH: DONE]

I suppose that such phrases occur several times through all the
documents.
[SLH: I search for it throughout and surprisingly it was no where else]

As I said at last call, I can live with the title change, although I
think
it is very long. But I wonder what the phrase "in your organization"
exactly means? Does it mean that you talk directly to the people
responsible of one organization? If so, we cannot speak about one
organization anymore but all the time state: if your organization is a
governmental organization, you should think about this or that.
Example: in financial factors you have the phrase: "An organization's
efforts to make its Web site accessible often has a financial impact,
and
can result in positive return on investment and cost efficiencies." Does

the new title mean we would have to write: "The efforts of your
organization to make its Web site accessible often have a financial
impact,
and can result in positive return on investment and cost efficiencies."
[SLH: There was some discussion about using "for your organization"
versus "for  a specific organization" in the title. We agreed to use
"for a specific organization"  throughout the body of the document. Most
of the group thought it was simplier  to use "for your organization" in
the title even though throughout this and other  documents we do not use
"you" and "your".]

I am not sure if this comment is understandable. My question here is in
relation to the world "your" in the title of the document.
[SLH: I understand perfectly!]

2. Comments to the different pages:
a) In social factor page:
I still have difficulties (when reading it) remebering what CSR
(corporate
social responsibility) and SRI (socially responsible investing) means.
Is
it a current phrase in English? Question to those who want to translate
it
into other languages: what effect do we intend with those acronyms?
Should
we invent an acronym in the translations of the document?
[SLH: I removed the acronyms from the introductory paragraph and only
use CSR  near where it is written out. corporate social responsibility
is common terminology  throughout the world. for translation, I think
you can easily find the term in native  language documents on the Web]

b) In technical factors.
Introduction :
"For example, an organization with very limited personnel resources
might
be more interested in reducing site development and maintenance time,
while
another organization that focuses
on cutting-edge technology might be more interested in interoperability
and
being prepared for advanced Web technologies"
To my mind, this is a very long sentence, and it seems to me not easy to

follow what it exactly meant. In particular, I wonder how I could
translate
"cutting-edge technology" and if it is a current wording in English or
rather jargon.
[SLH: I think "cutting-edge technology" is not too jargony for anyone
reading this  document.]

- in: "Reduce Site Development and Maintenance Time"
First list, first bullet:
". Reduce site-wide style change time and effort by defining
presentation
through a style sheet and using proper HTML to markup structure. (WCAG
1.0
Checkpoint
3.1, 3.3, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 5.4) [@@ need to explain that can change in one

style sheet, rather then in each HTML page @@]"
The sentence is not clear to me. Moreover, after the list of checkpoint
there is still an action item. Will it be edited after Wednesday or will
it
stay as it is?
[SLH: it will be edited after Wednesday, before the next review]

- In bullet: "reduce redesign and translation time" there is also an
action
item. Do you expect us to write something or is it planned to be edited
after Wednesday?
[SLH: it will be edited after Wednesday, before the next review]

- In the paragraph: "Be Prepared for Advanced Web Technologies" first
bullet:  "Allow for syndication of information by using metadata and
representing it
using resource description framework (RDF) . (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 13.2)"
Is  the term "syndication of information a current term that can be
understood by anybody?
[SLH: I will try to clarify it before the next review]

- Second bullet: ". Simplify migration and backwards-compatibility by
defining presentation through a style sheet, using proper HTML@@ to
markup
structure..." Is the term "migration and backwards-compatibility" usual
term and can it be understood by anybody?
[SLH: I think it might be too much to explain here, ane people who need
to know  what it is already do. Anyway, I will take a look at it in the
next editing pass]

Translation questions:
In financial factors: viral marketing. For those who are not native
speakers is this  clear enough
and do you think it is possible to translate it in your language?
[SLH: I think the two words should translate easily. "viral" is a
medical term, as in  virus that spreads]

c) In financial factors:
In the part "initial cost" in "Potential initial capital expenditures
related to Web accessibility include:" Purchasing assistive
technologies".
We should not forget that it is not enough to purchase assistive
technologies. But people should also follow a training on how to use and

implement assistive technologies to test their Web site. Or something
should be written on asking people using those technologies to test the
sites. What do you think?
[SLH: "Purchasing assistive technologies" is under "initial capital
expenditures" so  that wouldn't include training or hiring people to
test. We have "training and skills  development" and "Incorporating
accessibility into protocols and procedures, such  as quality assurance
testing and usability evaluation" earlier in the document and  "Testing
design ideas and early prototypes with assistive technologies" later in
the  document. Also, I just added "Many organizations starting Web
accessibility hire  employees or consultants with accessibility
expertise, such as people with  disabilities to help with testing."]

- In section "on-going costs" in the bullet: additional testing time.
Wouldn't it be useful to add something explaining how tests should be
fullfilled with assistive technologies: in inviting users or in asking
people of the organization to test the prototypes with assistive
technologies they have learned to use? Or does it imply that the
organization has employees with disabilities using those assistive
technologies?
[SLH: the purpose of this page is to explain financial factors
associated with web  accessibility, rather than providing guidance on
how to test]

If they ask people outside of the organisation to test their prototypes
is
there a cost to add (pay people who do the test) or is there a problem
of
confidentiality because people are testing internal Web sites? If the
tests are done  inside of the organisation: it means that people who
do the test have to know the assistive technology, that is they have to
be
trained to use assistive technologies. (that costs time). Or if they are

disabled it means that they have to invest time testing the site (this
should be included in the part on additional time to make Web sites
accessible).
[SLH: I think this is covered by the sections I mention in my comments
above,  again, remembering that we are only pointing to costs here and
not addressing  other implementation issues.]

- In section Identifying Legal and Policy Factors for a Specific
Organization, bullet: Identifying Legal and Policy Factors for a
Specific
Organization
Bullet:  @@ think this needs to be a section below & not a question@@ Is
it
helpful to include the risk of failing to provide accessible Web
sites?." I
do not understand what this exactly meeans.
[SLH: "@@" is an indication of something that needs additional editing,
which I will do before the next review]