Re: Fw: XML versus ASN.1/DER blob

>These people are not trying to achieve your level of security.
I am not assuming any particular level of security.  Instead, what I am
describing is taxonomy. Biometrics do not have the same functional
characterisitics as public key cryptographic techniques.

>However, for the record, most of you seem to be missing the point.  You
can
>agree or disagree or argue about the merits of this technology all you
like.
>Unfortunately the point is that you shouldn't be arguing about the
>technology at all.  We need to let the technology provide the security.

No.  We do not need to allow any technology.

We must have a clear scope of work for this committee.  We also need clear
definitions of our terminology.  Biometrics are not digital signatures.
Biometrics are a specific type of attribute that might be carried in within
signed XML document or bound to a key in a certificate.

XML is so flexible that it is easy to define opaque blobs that require
arbitrary proprietary processing.  We are an open standards group and
should strive to create a specification that promotes interoperable
solutions.  We need to be clear on what specific technologies we recommend.

Once again, I propose that "digital signatures" be defined in the scope of
our committees to mean a public key cryptographic signature.

Paul

"John Boyer" <jboyer@uwi.com> on 04/21/99 12:50:58 PM

To:   Paul Lambert/Certicom
cc:   "Dsig group" <w3c-xml-sig-ws@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: Fw: XML versus ASN.1/DER blob

Biometrics themselves do what you say, but technologies that package
biometrics package them within their own security measures however strong
or
weak they may be.

Biometrics can be associated with a public key for added security, but that
is not the only way they are packaged.  In that case, the biometrics must
still be protected.  They can't be in the clear or they can be forged.

These people are not trying to achieve your level of security.  They are
trying to achieve a level of security commensurate with what we currently
accept on paper documents.  That's it.  The biometrics and hash must be put
together and secured.  This is the only method these people have of
associating the document with the signer.

However, for the record, most of you seem to be missing the point.  You can
agree or disagree or argue about the merits of this technology all you
like.
Unfortunately the point is that you shouldn't be arguing about the
technology at all.  We need to let the technology provide the security.

John Boyer
Software Development Manager
UWI.Com -- The Internet Forms Company
jboyer@uwi.com

mailto:kotok@w3.org
http://www.w3.org
>MIT Laboratory for Computer Science,  545 Technology Square,  Room
NE43-409
>Cambridge, MA 02139, USA     Voice: +1-617-258-5728    Fax:
+1-617-258-5999