Re[2]: MIME Blobs

     Richard,

     Thanks for your response.  Please see comments and questions below.

     Rich

Subject: RE: MIME Blobs
Author:  <rdbrown@GlobeSet.com> at ~Internet
Date:    4/8/99 11:33 AM

> However, there is still a solution to your problem. Both approaches allow
for a particular signature mechanic formally known as detached-signature.
According to this scheme, the hash is computed directly over the raw
material. The resulting hash value in then inserted into a Signature
Information Block, which is finally signed by the originator. Notice,
however, that the signature is not applied directly to the raw material. The
point being that there are signature attributes such as the algorithms being
employed that must be sealed for obvious security reasons into the signature
value. But, this approach is a bit closer to what your are looking for.

     Yes, this helps, thanks.  I think the raw hash is sufficient, as is
     the indirect signature.

> Nonetheless, this approach solves only one aspect of your problem. How to
I package the document and the signature into a single message. I would
argue that it is very similar to the problem solved by S/MIME, which is
built on top of CMS. S/MIME leverages a signature standard (CMS) and a
"packaging" standard (MIME multipart) to address the problem. Probably we
shall do the same with XML.

By "we" are you referring to the DSig workgroup?

> What's about promoting an XML-based S/MIME-like DTD. This should be
something close to a document that comprises a package element and a
signature element. However, the resource element contains in the manifest of
the signature element refers to the external resource instead of the
internal package. Probably we will have to define a new attribute on the
package element so that it can display the origin of the resource contained
therein.

     Suppose a document is being transmitted from one location to another
     (similar to e-mail, but I am facing the same problem with "live"
     electronic filing.)  As I read what you are saying, there is no
     problem with the hash (of the raw document) and the signature (of the
     manifest).  However, in order to authenticate the signature, either
     the original document of the originator would have to be URI-
     addressable (it isn't a good idea to have attorneys hold the source
     document for court references, but it should be signed at the client),
     or an unencoded copy could be created locally and rehashed.  If this
     is the case, and if I understand the problem, it shouldn't be
     difficult to add an attribute to the hash specifying that it is
     performed on the unencoded blob rather than an XML-based hash.  BTW,
     is the content of the <resource> elements below the document or the
     hash?

     Thanks,

     Rich

--- ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY ---

<document>

  <package encoding="base64" origin="http://doc1.pdf"
type="application/pdf">
    ABcv1jxfgdJNGrdjn==
  </package>

  <package encoding="base64" origin="http://doc2.pdf"
type="application/pdf">
    ABcv1jxfgdJNGrdjn==
  </package>

  <signature>
    <manifest>
      <resources>
        <resource href="http://doc1.pdf" halg="sha1">
          AABhrhrmjTYPhvhakj==
        </resource>
        <resource href="http://doc2.pdf" halg="sha1">
          AABhrhrmjTYPhvhakj==
        </resource>
      </resources>
      ... algorithm definitions ...
    </manifest>
    <value encoding="base64">
      falg1gwHGwhejJEKur...
    </value>
  </signature>

</document>

Will this kind of approach make sense to you?

Sincerely,

Richard D. Brown
Software Architect - R&D
GlobeSet, Inc. Austin TX - U.S.