From jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU  Fri Jun 27 21:37:51 1997
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 11:37:44 +1000 (AEST)
From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
To: asgilman@access.digex.net
Subject: Further comments on style sheets

Al,

Here are a few more comments on the style sheet issue:

1. Upon reviewing your draft action item, I noticed that you had spelled
my sirname incorrectly. I am not offended by this, but it should be
corrected.

2. Whilst not wanting to preempt the work on braille style sheets, I would
suggest that there is a need for a parameter that would distinguish
between braille that is destined to be embossed on paper, and braille
output that will be presented to the user via a refreshable display. This
would parallel the distinction between the "screen" and "printer" media
types. Specifically, I would suggest:

media="braille embosser"
and
media="braille display"

3. Given the forthcoming release of HTML 4.0 on Tuesday, it is clearly
necessary for the WAI effort to concentrate on the next release of HTML,
which, it is to be hoped, will incorporate such features as mathematics
and phonetic markup. I recall that there was also an action item relating
to the possible inclusion of markup for designating reference page numbers
in HTML documents. The rationale behind this proposal presumably was the
need to represent the page numbers from source documents in electronic
transcripts of printed texts, particularly when producing books or other
texts in HTML format for use by people with disabilities. I would assume
that, unfortunately, it will not be possible to include the results of
this action item in HTML 4.0, and it will also have to be placed on the
agenda for discussion prior to the next version of the HTML specification.

Nevertheless, there can be no doubt that HTML 4.0 will offer significant
advantages for people with disabilities as compared with HTML 3.2,
especially when it is adopted by the developers of speech or braille-based
user agents.

Regards,

Jason White.

----- End of forwarded message from Jason White -----