Re: UAWG responses to your comments

Thank you, UAWG folks, for your continued work on this! Below are a few comments, preceded with "SLH".

Jeanne Spellman wrote:
> Shawn,
>
> UAWG has reviewed your comments and made changes in response.  Please review the changes and let us know if you disagree with any of the changes made.
>
> The most current Editor's drafts are at
> http://w3c.github.io/UAAG/UAAG20/
> http://w3c.github.io/UAAG/UAAG20-Reference/
>
> Your archived comments:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2014OctDec/0071.html
>
> Comments inline. I have also numbered your comments so they reference the Disposition of Comments document at http://jspellman.github.io/UAAG-LC-Comment/.
>
> ---------------
> *Increments*
> I'm afraid that below isn't specific enough and you need to say
> something about specific values  &/or increments.
>
> SH01) * Current text: "Line spacing, choosing from a range with at least three values"
> As it is written, a user agent that provided 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 would meet
> this criteria; however, that doesn't meet the needs of most users who
> need increased line spacing, as most need between 1.25 and 2.0.
>
> UAWG changed 1.4.1 * Line spacing to
> * Line spacing, choosing from a range with at least three values up to at least 2 times the default

SLH: Interesting way to cover it. Seems like it will work well along with the specific suggestions in the Reference.

SLH: I note 1.4.1 says:
* Line spacing, choosing from a range with at least three values up to at least 2 times the default
* Text style, choosing to turn on/off underline, italic, bold
and 1.4.2 says:
* Line spacing, choosing from a range with at least three values
* Text style (underline, italic, bold)
Should these be the same or is there a reason that they are different?

> http://w3c.github.io/UAAG/UAAG20-Reference/#sc_141
> UAWG added Note 4 to the introduction of 1.4:
> Note 4: When it comes to magnification, size, or spacing, the optimum value for a given user would vary based on their visual impairment and the size of the content they’re reading. Therefore it’s recommended that user agents provide a wider range of values, and a greater number of increments, to allow the user to adjust the view for their current task.

SLH: [minor] "When it comes to magnification, size, or spacing, the optimum value for a given user would vary based on their visual impairment..." limits users who need this to people with visual impairment; however, many people with cognitive impairments also need uncommon text size and spacing especially. An idea to make it more broadly encompassing and simple is to replace the first sentence with: "Users have varying needs for text size and spacing."

> UAWG added a sentence to the Intent of 1.4.1:
> http://w3c.github.io/UAAG/UAAG20-Reference/#sc_141-i
> At a minimum, it is recommended to offer line spacing options of 1, 1.25, 1.5 and 2.0.

SLH: I agree that it's good to leave some flexibility in the normative standard and then provide specific suggestions in the informative Reference. Good work!

> SH02) * Current text: "1.8.5 Allow Zoom:  The user can rescale content within
> top-level graphical viewports as follows: (Level A) Zoom in: to 500% or
> more of the default size..."
> As it is written, a user agent that provided just two options for zoom:
> 100% and 500%, would meet this criteria; however, that's not
> sufficiently accessible because the vast majority of users who need zoom
> will need it at a percent in between 100 & 500%.
>
> UAWG does not accept the comment because this is already well implemented, the UA already have nearly infinite zoom up to 500%. UAAG wording is agnostic and allows UAs to use what ever method to provide the scaling to 500%

SLH: I agree that most UAs today provide zoom at any increment - yeah! I do still think it is *very important that the standard include what users need*, even if it is already implemented in today's UAs -- to ensure that it is included in future UAs.

(fyi, A common UA today provides the following zoom options in its interface: 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2400, 3200, 6400. So between 150% and 400% --probably the most commonly-needed range-- there is only one option: 200%, which leaves out a lot of users' needs.)

> SH03) * Current text: "Character spacing, choosing from a range with at least 5 values"
> This may have the same issue as above, although maybe not because the
> range of character spacing needed is far less, afaik.
>
> UAWG added a sentence to UAAG Reference: "It is recommended to provide a range of character spacing of at least 0.01, 0.03, 0.06, 0.09 times the base character width. "
> http://w3c.github.io/UAAG/UAAG20-Reference/#sc_143-i
>
> SH04) *Inconsistencies*
> I'm not sure if the inconsistencies below are on purpose or in error? :-)
>
> * 1.4.1 Basic text formatting (Globally):… Text scale with…
>      1.4.2 Basic text formatting (by Element): … Text size or scale
>
> * 1.4.1 Basic text formatting (Globally):…
>      Text color and background color, choosing from all platform color options
>      Font family, choosing from all installed fonts [this says "installed" &
> others say "platform"]
> 1.4.2 Basic text formatting (by Element):
>      Text color and background color, choosing from all platform color options
>      Font family, choosing from at least all platform fonts
>
> UAWG choose the wording with care.  Globally, text is scaled, but by element it can be sized or scaled.   Fonts are installed, but colors are chosen from the platform.  We reviewed the other success criteria to make sure the wording was consistent.
>
>   *missing*
>
> SH05) "Text style (underline, italic, bold)"
> Current text has it only provided by Element; it is missing from Globally.
>
> UAWG added a bullet to 1.4.1: Text style, choosing to turn on/off underline, italic, bold
> http://w3c.github.io/UAAG/UAAG20/#sc_141
>

> SH06) * I had suggested more element-level customization at Level AAA that is missing from the current text. Given that it at Level AAA, does it make sense to leave it in there?
>
> UAWG moved around the levels of element-level customization and we believe that all of the items are included with the exception of Word spacing, which we had deliberately removed.

SLH: In the latest Editor's draft, I am still not able to find the following for element-level:
* Margins
* Borders
(fyi, These seem to be commonly-used ways to help indicate different heading levels by advanced user stylesheet users, e.g., see <http://www.tader.info/ex-displays.html>)

> SH07) Word spacing seems to be missing all together. Is that an error or
> conscious decision?
>
> UAWG put word spacing back as a new bullet in 1.4.5 Word spacing, choosing from a range with at least 5 values
> http://w3c.github.io/UAAG/UAAG20/#sc_145
>
> *misc*
>
> * Just an observation: There are a few aspects that are currently at a
> higher level than I had suggested, including global line spacing,
> justification, and margins. I assume y'all identified additional
> rationale for them being at a higher level, which I am totally
> comfortable with. :-)
>
> SH08) * "Note: Any user settings from the platform for these characteristics
> are implemented."
> I cannot figure out what this means.
>
> This note was added in response from requests from Microsoft.  UAWG removed the note and took the following actions:
> a) removed the note from 1.4.1 and 1.3.1 because the notes are too broad
> b) added a new success criterion "1.4.5: Default to platform text settings: The user can specify that platform text settings be used as the default values for text configuration. (Level AA)"
> c) clarified 5.1.3 so that it only applies to implementing the accessibility guidelines of the platform and not to user settings
> d) removed 1.4 note #1 because it was incorporated into the success criteria handles
> e) moved 1.4 note to Conformance Applicability Notes
>
> 9) * "1.4.4 Configured and Reflowed Text Printing: The user can print the rendered content, and the following are all true: (Level AA) @@"
> Just noting the "@@" there. :-)
> [removed]
>
> And some typos-type stuff I noticed:
> * "The user can specifiy that multi-column text blocks be reflowed into
> a single column (1.8.14, Level AA)"
> specifiy -> specify
> reflowed into a single column (1.8.14, Level AA)"
> doesn't match below: "1.8.13 Multi-Column Text Reflow:" ... "1.8.14
> Ignore Fixed Unit Dimensions:"
> [fixed, thank you]

I am fine with all the other changes noted above.

I will send a separate e-mail on a new issue that I see from the recent changes in the latest draft.

Regards,
~Shawn