Fwd: Avoiding horizontal scrolling and Reflow Text

from the public comment list
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
Date: Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM
Subject: Avoiding horizontal scrolling and Reflow Text
To: public-uaag2-comments@w3.org

Hi UAAG folks,

Please see my remaining comment below.

Previous version had:
"
1.8.7 Reflow Text: The user can specify that text content in a graphical
top-level viewport reflows so the text forms a single column that fits
within the width of the viewport. (Level A)
Note 1: Reflow applies even when text is rescaled or zoomed.
"
Current Editor's Draft has:
"1.8.13 Multi-Column Text Reflow: The user can specify that recognized
multi-column text blocks each be reflowed into a single column. (Level AA)
Note: Some layouts may become unusable if author-specified layout is
overridden. In this case, the user can turn linearization off and try
another strategy. It is recommended that user agents provide a convenient
way for the user to turn this behavior on and off.
1.8.14 Ignore Fixed Unit Dimensions: The user can have the user agent
override author-specified unit dimensions. (Level AA)
1.8.15 Linearize Content: The user can have recognized content rendered as
a single column, overriding author-specified formatting of columns, tables,
and positioning. (Level AA)
Note: Some layouts may become unusable if author-specified layout is
overridden. In this case, the user can turn linearization off and try
another strategy. It is recommended that user agents provide a convenient
way for the user to turn this behavior on and off.
"

It seems the idea of "text... fits within the width of the viewport" is
missing. Is this supposed to be covered in 1.8.14? If so, can you add that
wording, e.g,. "The user can have the user agent override author-specified
unit dimensions, so the text fits within the width of the viewport." ?

Regards,
~Shawn

--
[image: http://www.tsbvi.edu] <http://www.tsbvi.edu>Jim Allan,