From: Greg Lowney [gcl-0039@access-research.org]
Sent: July-10-14 3:44 AM
To: Jim Allan; WAI-ua
Subject: Re: CA02 - related 3.1

The reviewer's comment raises a few valid questions about 3.1.1:

1. The first bullet says the user can turn off "Recognized messages that are low priority". Are there any recognized low-priority messages other than those marked with aria-live? Aria-live is used only for content that is being updated or changing, which is already excluded by the third bullet. Thus, if it has the wai-live, it doesn’t matter whether the value says it's low, medium, or high priority. Is there any existing technology that where the first bullet would apply?

2. The second bullet says the user must be able to turn off "Information in the user agent user interface that is being updated or changing". That seems to say that *all* non-modal information and status displays, including errors, need to be optional or replaced by modal displays (message boxes and the like). If a toolbar button switches between enabled and disabled appearances when the focus moves to an element where it’s not applicable, or when the page updates to show or hide playable media, that needs to be optional? How about the enabling and disabling of the Back button? If the scroll button moves as the user scrolls through the document, do they need to be able to hide the scroll bar? Does the user need to be able to prevent the browser’s title bar from changing to reflect changes to the web page’s title?

3. The third bullet says the user can turn off "Rendered content that is being updated or changing". Doesn’t that mean turning off scripts, turning off the ability of scripts to modify the DOM, or turning off screen updates when the DOM changes?

That being said, reviewer seems to have been misled because the phrase "Recognized messages that are low priority" can be taken as including recognized messages that can be *inferred* to have low priority (rather than only recognized messages that have *recognized* low priority). If we keep the clause we should probably change the wording to something like "Recognized low-priority messages (e.g. the aria-live attribute set to 'polite')".

    Greg