Re: [MEDIA] Minutes for Media Sub-Group 02 JUN 2014

Hi Daniel

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 7:50 AM, Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the compliment!
>
> Regarding the requirements, bullet 2 is already covered by user agents
> that support playbackRate - when the speed is changed the pitch stays
> the same.

​That is excellent news! another bullet checked off ​

> For bullet 4, however, no browser (that I know of) supports Reset yet,
> and they don't even support changing the rate as part of the native
> controls either. As you say, it's easy to implement, both in the browser
> and by authors, but the biggest blocker may be how to add such functions
> to the UI while keeping them simple to use. Browser vendors so far have
> kept their media controls to a bare minimum so the more practical
> approach may be to encourage third-party media players [1] to
> incorporate such a feature. My impression is that most sites in the wild
> use these media player libraries which allow more customisation and
> cross-browser compatibility, rather than rely on built-in players.

​Ideally, the UA would have a robust/full set of controls. the author could
choose a 'standard set' of controls to provide on their page. And, the user
could choose to have a different​

​more robust set always turned on in their browser to meet their needs,
without the author having to do extra work. I am sure there are technical
details that will make this much more complicated than I wish it were. ​

I understand about authors using 3rd party players, the range of abilities
(and holes in feature sets - especially accessibility) is a bit daunting
for authors and troublesome for users. Do you know if there is a way to
override the authors choice of 3rd party player and use the native browser
video player instead?
Jim