RE: Minutes: UAWG telecon 24 April 2014

ACTION: jan to smith MS01 with zooming example:

In order to clarify the relationship between UAAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.0 (and ATAG 2.0) UAWG has added 2 new sections to the Guidelines document Introduction:

-Relationship to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and

-Relationship to the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0

For the following reasons, UAWG continues to believe that keeping web-based user agents in the scope of UAAG is reasonable:

- from the perspective of users needing accessibility features (e.g. zoom, media navigation, etc.) it is not always clear whether a user agent is web-based or native, especially as browsers and operating systems converge.

- UAAG does allow web-based user agents to depend on the base (native) user agent in order to meet UAAG success criteria, just as non-web-based user agents can rely on operating system features (e.g. to programmatically communicate with assistive technology)

- the web-based user agent may be best placed to provide UAAG conformant functionality. For example a web-based video player may only be serving small portions of a video to the base browser's video player, so the base browser would not be able to provide effective navigation of the video. Similarly, a web-based user agent can zoom its content and keep its own user interface the same size, saving screen real estate, while the base browser's zoom function may zoom the web-based browser's user interface, leaving less space for the content.

Instead of de-scoping web-based user agents, UAWG will identify exemptions from specific success criteria where necessary (e.g. due to technical limitations).

Cheers,

Jan

(MR) JAN RICHARDS
PROJECT MANAGER
INCLUSIVE DESIGN RESEARCH CENTRE (IDRC)
OCAD UNIVERSITY

T 416 977 6000 x3957
F 416 977 9844
E jrichards@ocadu.ca<mailto:jrichards@ocadu.ca?Subject=Re%3A%20AUWG%20Teleconference%20for%2017%20March%202014%20%28Boston%20time%20has%20changed%20-%20%20please%20re-check%20time%29&In-Reply-To=%3C0B1EB1C972BCB740B522ACBCD5F48DEB012E4B50AC%40ocadmail-maildb.ocad.ca%3E&References=%3C0B1EB1C972BCB740B522ACBCD5F48DEB012E4B50AC%40ocadmail-maildb.ocad.ca%3E>