Re: ACTION-851: Review 1.8.1,x to see if they can be merged into 1.3.1-2 to avoid duplication

Greg,
I like the 2 SC version (tho writing testing will be interesting).
A question about the
*(d) Shape and size when the indicator is an image*

I assume the 'indicator' is the 'cursor'. Are there any other highlighting
mechanisms that would generate an image indicator?
I know the cursor is configurable at the platform level (at least in
windows). Are you saying this is something that the UA should override?
That seems a bit far reaching.

Jim


On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 2:21 AM, Greg Lowney
<gcl-0039@access-research.org>wrote:

>  On 2013-07-18 we resolved to accept Jan's proposal to split 1.8.1
> (Highlight Viewport) into two SC, 1.8.1 (Highlight Viewport) and 1.8.x
> (Customize Viewport Highlighting), but I was given the action item of
> determining whether they could be merged into 1.3.1 (Highlighted Items) and
> 1.3.2 (Highlighting Options) in order to reduce the number of SC. This led
> me to review those SC.
>
> Further below are a list of five recommended changes. Because there are a
> bunch of separate but related proposals the final wording depends on which
> set of options we accept, I start with two potential final versions, the
> first with the currently agreed-upon four SC, and second reducing them to
> two. Changes are enclosed in asterisks. At the bottom are the currently
> agreed-upon wording.
>
> Option A, with four SC:
> 1.8.1 Highlight Viewport: The user can have the viewport with the input
> focus be highlighted. (Level A)
>
> 1.8.x Customize Viewport Highlighting: *When highlighting viewports as
> specified by 1.8.1 Highlight Viewport,* the user can customize attributes
> of the highlighting mechanism (e.g. shape, size, stroke width, color, blink
> rate). (Level AA)
>
> 1.3.1 Highlighted Items: The user can specify that the following classes
> be highlighted so that each is uniquely distinguished: (Level A)
>     (a) Selection
>     (b) Active keyboard focus (indicated by focus cursors and/or text
> cursors)
>     (c) Recognized enabled input elements (distinguished from disabled
> elements)
>     (d) Recently visited links
>
> 1.3.2 Highlighting Options: When highlighting classes specified by 1.3.1
> Highlighted Items, the user can specify highlighting options that include
> at least: (Level AA)
>     (a) Foreground colors
>     (b) Background colors
>     (c) Borders (color, style, and thickness)
>     *(d) Shape and size when the indicator is an image*
>     *(e) Blink rate when blinking is implemented*
>
> Option B, with two SC: [1.8.1 would be replaced with the following Note.]
>
> *Note: See 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 regarding highlighting of the active viewport.*
>
> 1.3.1 Highlighted Items: The user can specify that the following classes
> be highlighted so that each is uniquely distinguished: (Level A)
>     (a) Selection
>     (b) Active keyboard focus (indicated by focus cursors and/or text
> cursors)
>     (c) Recognized enabled input elements (distinguished from disabled
> elements)
>     (d) Recently visited links
>     *(e) Active viewport*
>
> 1.3.2 Highlighting Options: When highlighting classes specified by 1.3.1
> Highlighted Items, the user can specify highlighting options that include
> at least: (Level AA)
>     (a) Foreground colors
>     (b) Background colors
>     (c) Borders (color, style, and thickness)
>     *(d) Shape and size when the indicator is an image*
>     *(e) Blink rate when blinking is implemented*
>
> *My five recommendations are:* 1.    We havenít yet implemented the
> resolutions to split 1.8.1 into two SC, probably because it was waiting for
> this action item, but if we don't delete them we should.
>
> 2.    Iím okay either keeping all four SC in order to keep the SC about
> viewports together, or merging 1.8.1/x into 1.3.1 and 1.3.2. If we merge
> them we would do all of the following:
>
>     (a) delete 1.8.1 (and also 1.8.x, if and where it was already split
> off 1.8.1),
>     (b) add to 1.3.1 another list item "active viewport",
>     (c) add to 1.8 "Note: See 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 regarding highlighting of
> the active viewport."
>
> 3.    If we decide to keep 1.8.x, it should be reworded because the
> agreed-upon wording does not work when taken out of context (i.e. it talks
> about highlighting, not about highlighting viewports). It should be changed
> to something like "When highlighting viewports as specified by 1.8.1
> Highlight Viewport, highlighting options include at least" (which parallels
> the wording of 1.3.2, Highlighting Options).
>
> 4.    In the chat of 2013-07-18 Iíd suggested that we add to 1.3.2 "(d)
> shape and size when the indicator is an image", but it was at the very end
> and we didnít end up discussing it.
>
> 5.    If we donít merge 1.8.x into 1.3, I suggest adding to 1.3.2 an
> additional list item, "blink rate, where blinking is implemented", thus
> paralleling the fact that blinking is referenced in 1.8.x.
>
> *For reference, here's the wording per the resolution to split 1.8.1, but
> not including the suggestions above:*
> 1.8.1 Highlight Viewport: The user can have the viewport with the input
> focus be highlighted. (Level A)
>
> 1.8.x Customize Viewport Highlighting: The user can customize attributes
> of the highlighting mechanism (e.g. shape, size, stroke width, color, blink
> rate). (Level AA)
>
> 1.3.1 Highlighted Items: The user can specify that the following classes
> be highlighted so that each is uniquely distinguished: (Level A)
>     (a) Selection
>     (b) Active keyboard focus (indicated by focus cursors and/or text
> cursors)
>     (c) Recognized enabled input elements (distinguished from disabled
> elements)
>     (d) Recently visited links
>
> 1.3.2 Highlighting Options: When highlighting classes specified by 1.3.1
> Highlighted Items, the user can specify highlighting options that include
> at least: (Level AA)
>     (a) Foreground colors
>     (b) Background colors
>     (c) Borders (color, style, and thickness).
>
>     Thanks,
>     Greg
>



-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964

Received on Thursday, 12 September 2013 14:02:33 UTC