Re: 2.11.10 Video Contrast and Brightness

The intent when it was conceived was that this was to be a UA issue not a
platform issue. All of the video players (quicktime, windows media player,
and real player) have contrast/brightness adjustments. The thought was if
the player functionality is brought into the browser (as proposed in
HTML5), then contrast/brightness adjustment should be included in the UA
functionality. UAWG sent the SCs we thought should be covered by the video
player functionality (controls) proposed by the media group of HTML5.
I see your point, that we need to add language that this should be a UA
issue not a 'global platform' issue/functionality.

Jim

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Greg Lowney <gcl-0039@access-research.org>wrote:

>  The current documents don't really address whether this success
> criterion, and others like it, can be achieved through global adjustments
> (e.g. changing the overall contrast on brightness on your display) or
> whether the intent is to require more fine-grained adjustments (e.g.
> changing the brightness setting for all HTML5 video in the browser, or for
> a specific HTML5 video in the browser). We may want to say something in
> this regard to clarify the intent, one way or the other.
>
> FYI it reads:
>
> 2.11.10 Video Contrast and Brightness: Users can adjust the contrast and
> brightness of visual time-based media. (Level AAA)
> *
> Intent of Success Criterion 2.11.10:*
>
> Users with certain types of low vision need to control contrast and
> brightness of time-based media so they can discern the content. Users who
> are prone to seizures need to be able to reduce or dim contrast and
> brightness to protect themselves from seizures caused by flashing content.
> .

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756