Re: proposal merge 2.1.9 and 2.3.5

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:53:19 +0500, Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu> wrote:

> 2.1.9 Allow Override of User Interface Keyboard Commands (former
> 2.1.10): The user can override any keyboard shortcut binding for the
> user agent user interface except for conventional bindings for the
> operating environment (e.g. access to help). The rebinding options
> must include single-key and key-plus-modifier keys if available in the
> operating environment. (Level AA) ## DONE TPAC
>
> 2.3.5 Customize Keyboard Commands: The user can override any keyboard
> shortcut including recognized author supplied shortcuts (e.g.
> accesskeys) and user interface controls, except for conventional
> bindings for the operating environment (e.g. arrow keys for navigating
> within menus). The user must be able to save these settings beyond the
> current session. (Level AA)## DONE 8 March 2012
>
> --
> Proposal
> 2.1.9  is for User Agent User Interface. 2.3.5 is for content.

Not unambiguously - but should be (otherwise there are two
partially-overlapping requirements that have bad separation of orthognal
things).

> We have
> already reviewed these several times (back to July 2009). Both are
> approved individually.

And can be implemented independently, or at least semi-independently.
(Excesskey explicitly extends Opera to allow changing of content shortcuts
declared with accesskey, but unsurprisingly javascript key detection is
much more complicated to change, and neither of these things deal with
user agent controls.

> Suggest we leave them as is.

Suggest we fix. And figuring out what to do about accesskey (which can be
easily overridden) and javascript keyboard handlers (which cannot) is
something that matters on the modern web.

cheers

Chaals

--
Chaals - standards declaimer