W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 2010

Minutes: UAAG 2 Dec 2010

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:40:15 -0600
Message-ID: <AANLkTimzAoXaee7+YQ8HFe8149MOpNrfL5AGfTvuCFGC@mail.gmail.com>
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
- DRAFT - http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
02 Dec 2010

See also: IRC log  http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-irc
Attendees

Present
    Greg, Jim, Kelly, Simon, John, Kim, Jeanne
Regrets
    Markhakkinen
Chair
    Jim Allan, Kelly Ford
Scribe
    kford

Contents

    * Topics
         1. Publishing working draft
         2. Discuss strategy to get us to last call/final document review
         3. Discuss editorís notes from current UAAG draft -
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20101117/
    * Summary of Action Items

<trackbot> Date: 02 December 2010

<JAllan> kim, are you going to join the call?

<scribe> Scribe: kford
Publishing working draft

JS: Number of items related to working draft.

<JAllan> current draft at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20101117/#gl-keyboard-access

<jeanne> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20101130/

JS: asked people to approve draft and it resulted in conversations on summaries.

<jeanne> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/WD-UAAG20-20101130/

JS: I put summaries in for now so we can see what they are like.
... Summaries list discussion about summaries.

That was summarizes.

JS: Should we publish with summary or take it out?
... Or should we come to an agreement to call them something else or
otherwise chane the name and publish.

JA: I like summary. That's what they seem like to me.
... My only issue is that we don't have a summary for all of them?

<jeanne> RIM, Research in Motion - Blackberry

<JAllan> He is from RIM

<John> thank you

Correct spelling of your name John, last name that is?

<John> John S Lee from Research in Motion, I'm a technical advisor
with the standards group

Group introduces themselves.

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/WD-UAAG20-20101130/

Group returns to discussion about summary.

<JAllan> +1

GL I think they are summaries.

Kim and Simon agree.

+1 here and say we can change later.

JS: What else do we want to have in the status.
... In this document the changes seem subtle.

KF: Didn't we add more implementation?

JS: Yes and that will go in that doc's status.

GL: We did renumbering, level changes and such.

JS: Last time we published was July. What are the big changes?

Group talks about focus as being rewritten?

JS: Reads earlier status and questions.

JA: Group has not received a lot of feedback.
... Let's use some of our earlier questions.

GL: Talks about change from provide an option.

<jeanne> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-uaag2-comments/2010Jul/0000.html

JS: We have a request from education and outreach on some editorial
items plus short handles for items.

<jeanne> # UAAG 2.0 Guidelines

<jeanne> * PRINCIPLE 1: Perceivable

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.1: Alternative content

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.2: Missing content

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.3: Highlighting

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.4: Text configuration

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.5: Volume configuration

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.6: Synthesized speech configuration

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.7: Style sheets configuration

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.8: Viewports

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.9: Focus

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.10: Source views

<jeanne> o Guideline 1.11: Links

<jeanne> * PRINCIPLE 2. Operable

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.1: Keyboard access

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.2: Event handlers

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.3: Time-independence

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.4: Flashing

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.5: Preference settings

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.6: Search.

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.7: Structured navigation.

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.8: Toolbar configuration.

<jeanne> o Guideline 2.9: Media

<jeanne> * PRINCIPLE 3: Understandable

<jeanne> o Guideline 3.1: Unnecessary messages.

<jeanne> o Guideline 3.2: Mistakes.

<jeanne> o Guideline 3.3: Documentation

<jeanne> o Guideline 3.4: Predictable

<jeanne> * PRINCIPLE 4. Programmatic access

<jeanne> o Guideline 4.1: Programmatic access

<jeanne> * PRINCIPLE 5. Specifications and conventions

<jeanne> o Guideline 5.1: Desktop apps

<jeanne> o Guideline 5.2: Web & web apps

<jeanne> o Guideline 5.3: Accessibility features

<jeanne> o Guideline 5.4: Follow specifications

<jeanne> Existing ToC: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/WD-UAAG20-20101130/#toc

Group talks about having short handles for items.

GL: In general I think this is a good way to go.

Group is generally in favor of short handles presented by JS.
Discuss strategy to get us to last call/final document review

<JAllan> kf: we have made progress. did more writing. have actions open.

<JAllan> ... what are thoughts to get to last call...more writing
meeting, small group writing, etc.

<JAllan> ...how to close things down better.

<JAllan> js: thinks we are very close.

<JAllan> Simon had suggested making the call 2 hours long

<JAllan> kf: get aggressive about getting right with action items and
commitments through Dec.

<JAllan> ...then start locking down in Jan.

<JAllan> kp: had groups of 2 to get things done by end Dec.

<JAllan> ... is there a prize...motivator

<JAllan> ...concentrate on F2F items and open action items.

<JAllan> kf: for SC we had groups.

<JAllan> KF and JS had largest group

<JAllan> js is out next week (rest well)
Discuss editorís notes from current UAAG draft -
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20101117/

Group now talking about editor's notes?

JA: First one is on virtual worlds.

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20101117/

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/WD-UAAG20-20101130

<JAllan> KF: don't include. adds nothing.

<JAllan> js: SecondLife considers itself a UA. They asked us to
include GL to help them.

<JAllan> GL: reader hits something confusing in the second sentence.

<JAllan> kf: if we don't talk about it now, how and when.

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to write a summary of issues on including
Virtual Worlds into the document to discuss at the 16 December.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-470 - Write a summary of issues on including
Virtual Worlds into the document to discuss at the 16 December. [on
Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-12-09].

Much disucssion about process.

Now talking about important elements.

S/disucssioN/DISCUSSION

<jeanne> ATAG Prominence definition ->
http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2010/ED-ATAG20-20101028/#def-Prominence

GL: We are asking for something pretty major here. Probably need to
write up a more robust recommendation.

Group talks further about where this term is used in the document.

<scribe> chair: jim

<scribe> Chair: Jim_allan

<scribe> ACTION: MH to provide definition of time based media content
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-471 - Provide definition of time based media
content [on Markku Hakkinen - due 2010-12-09].

<JAllan> ACTION: jallan to define important elements [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-472 - Define important elements [on Jim
Allan - due 2010-12-09].

<JAllan> ACTION: jallan to move editors notes 2.9.12 to implementing
document [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-473 - Move editors notes 2.9.12 to
implementing document [on Jim Allan - due 2010-12-09].

<scribe> ACTION: kford to figure out SC around editor's note on 3.1.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - kford

<scribe> ACTION: kf to figure out SC on editor's note around 3.1.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - kf

<scribe> ACTION: JA to figure out SC around editor's note in 3.1
(belongs to kford). [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-474 - Figure out SC around editor's note in
3.1 (belongs to kford). [on Jim Allan - due 2010-12-09].

<JAllan> ACTION: simon to create definition of 'benefit accessibility'
or reword all SC in GL 3.3 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action08]

<trackbot> Sorry, amibiguous username (more than one match) - simon

<trackbot> Try using a different identifier, such as family name or
username (eg. sharper, spieters)

<JAllan> ACTION: sharper to create definition of 'benefit
accessibility' or reword all SC in GL 3.3 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action09]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-475 - Create definition of 'benefit
accessibility' or reword all SC in GL 3.3 [on Simon Harper - due
2010-12-09].

<JAllan> ACTION: jallan to review EN on GL3.4 security...why, do we
need it? [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action10]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-476 - Review EN on GL3.4 security...why, do
we need it? [on Jim Allan - due 2010-12-09].

<JAllan> ACTION: JS to remove editors note on 5.1 define
'non-web-based' [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action11]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-477 - Remove editors note on 5.1 define
'non-web-based' [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-12-09].

<JAllan> glossary editor notes. leave in for word not in document, but
in glossary.

<JAllan> ACTION: JS to move editors note on 'Profile', change wording
to - Platform-independent profiles are useful for those who use the
same user agent on different devices. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action12]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-478 - Move editors note on 'Profile', change
wording to - Platform-independent profiles are useful for those who
use the same user agent on different devices. [on Jeanne Spellman -
due 2010-12-09].

<Greg> I'll make a pass over the document trying to replace
occurrences of the phrase global (as in "global settings") with
something clearer.

<Greg> ACTION: Greg to make a pass over the document trying to replace
occurrences of the phrase global (as in "global settings") with
something clearer. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action13]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-479 - Make a pass over the document trying
to replace occurrences of the phrase global (as in "global settings")
with something clearer. [on Greg Lowney - due 2010-12-09].
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Greg to make a pass over the document trying to replace
occurrences of the phrase global (as in "global settings") with
something clearer. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action13]
[NEW] ACTION: JA to figure out SC around editor's note in 3.1 (belongs
to kford). [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to define important elements [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to move editors notes 2.9.12 to implementing
document [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to review EN on GL3.4 security...why, do we need
it? [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to write a summary of issues on including Virtual
Worlds into the document to discuss at the 16 December. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to move editors note on 'Profile', change wording to
- Platform-independent profiles are useful for those who use the same
user agent on different devices. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action12]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to remove editors note on 5.1 define 'non-web-based'
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: kf to figure out SC on editor's note around 3.1.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: kford to figure out SC around editor's note on 3.1.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: MH to provide definition of time based media content
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: sharper to create definition of 'benefit accessibility'
or reword all SC in GL 3.3 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-ua-minutes.html#action09]

[End of minutes]


-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster

Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756

voice 512.206.9315††† fax: 512.206.9264† http://www.tsbvi.edu/

"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 2 December 2010 19:40:50 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:49:39 UTC