Re: Accesskey Discussion

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:04:19 -0400, Egan, Bim <Bim.Egan@rnib.org.uk> wrote:

> Sorry to butt in here, but it concerns me that as accesskey bindings
> frequently conflict with keyboard access to browser  toolbars or
> plug-ins, and can also change settings in access technology that runs in
> the background while being sensitive to all keystrokes, such as screen
> readers, defined accesskeys could result in all HTML5 pages using them
> being inaccessible to people  who navigate via keyboard or use access
> tech software, instead of the current situation where it is difficult
> only on some sites using code that conforms to specification.

Actually, the problem is stupid browser implementation binding
author-assigned accesskeys to something that normally has a different
function.

There is also a problem of authors using javascript to trap the keyboard,
which has the same effect.

No, that is what rel attributes are for. That allows browsers to define
whatever activation they want, that will be common across sites, and won't
interfere with the existing browser UI.

cheers

Chaals